The "Space exploration in education" Summer School: the innovative way to educate. collaborate. understanding. challenge. learn. encourage. inspire.
The "Space exploration in education" course is organized in the context of the spaceEU project. Its main objective is to introduce to teachers how they can use space exploration in their science class as a vehicle to increase students' interest and appreciation of science and towards pursuing space related career paths in the future. More specifically the objectives of the summer school are:
- Communicate and introduce the accomplishments of European space science, technology and innovation and demonstrate how European society benefits from the space sector.
- Introduce design thinking to teachers so they can help their students develop their inquiry and 21st century skills through a series of exciting and unique space activities tailored to the school curricula.
- Propose ways to introduce to their students space related careers and facilitate them developing the key skills involved.
- Train teachers on an interdisciplinary and inquiry learning methodology and help them switch to a student-centered approach through a series of small, meaningful adaptations on their own pace.
- Demonstrate examples of contributions by women and minorities to the advancement of space science and provide participants with training on teaching strategies that will allow them to manage diverse classrooms and promote gender balance.
The course will also encourage participants to step outside the boundaries of their own school and country and invite them to become part of a global community of practice that will allow them to collaborate, exchange and share ideas, experiences, concerns and educational resources with fellow teachers across Europe and beyond.
Special attention will be given on introducing teachers to educational repositories and enable them to find additional materials as well as learn how to share their work on such platforms with other teachers around the world and thus promote their work.
Participation in this course can be funded by the Erasmus+ Programme (Key Action 1, Mobility project for school education staff).
Designed for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) teachers and professionals.
The "Space exploration in education" Summer School 2019 is designed foster collaboration among teachers of the same school unit.
This website will act as a main hub of communication and for sharing and distributing preparatory material with the participants.